- My paper avo >I and we also.
- I’ve used the active sound whenever feasible.
- We have actually defined specific terms that may be unknown to visitors.
- I’ve utilized clear, straightforward language whenever feasible and avoided unnecessary jargon.
- My paper states my viewpoint employing a tone—neither that is balanced indecisive nor too powerful.
along with checking the points noted on Checklist 12.3, review your paper to ensure your language is accurate, conveys no unintended connotations, and it is free from biases. Check out for the true points to check on for:
- Vague or imprecise terms
- Repetition of the identical expressions (“Smith states…, Jones states…”) to introduce quoted and paraphrased product (For a complete variety of strong verbs to make use of with in-text citations, see Chapter 13 “APA and MLA Documentation and Formatting”.)
- Exclusive usage of masculine pronouns or embarrassing usage of he or she
- Usage of language with negative connotations, such as for instance haughty or > that is r
Making use of plural nouns and pronouns or recasting a phrase will allow you to keep your language sex basic while avoiding awkwardness. Think about the examples that are following.
- Gender-biased: whenever a journalist cites a supply into the human body of their paper, he must record it on their sources web page.
- Awkward: When a journalist cites a supply when you look at the physical human anatomy of his / her paper, she or he must record it on his / her sources web web web page.